Health officials are concerned about the Coronavirus outbreak in China Travel Alert issued in China; cities, theme parks. Airports are shut down & hundreds of people have contracted the virus so far; over 20 have died 2 suspected cases in Ireland thus far more health stories according to the World Health Organization, they were first alerted to the virus on New Year’s Eve about several cases of pneumonia. once they tested the virus they realized it had been new and that they weren’t sure how it might affect people.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the person-to-person spread is happening, though it’s unclear how easily this virus is spreading between people at this point
Here’s what you’ll do to stay yourself healthy:
- Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- When coughing and sneezing, cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue – throw the tissue away immediately and wash hands.
- Avoid close contact with anyone who has a fever and cough.
- If you’ve got a fever, cough, and difficulty breathing, seek medical aid early and share previous travel history together with your health care provider.
- When visiting live markets in areas currently experiencing cases of a novel coronavirus, avoid direct unprotected contact with live animals and surfaces in touch with animals.
- The consumption of raw or undercooked animal products should be avoided. Raw meat, milk, or animal organs should be handled with care to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods, as per good food safety practices.
According to the CDC, if you have traveled to Wuhan in the last 14 days and feel sick with a fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, you should:
- Seek medical care right away. Before you go to a doctor’s office or emergency room, call ahead and tell them about your recent travel and your symptoms.
- Avoid contact with others.
- Not travel while sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve, not your hands, when coughing or sneezing.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.